Chronological Resume Format 2018
Chronological resume format 2018 – When to use
When it comes to resume format, all the job seekers trying to understand what resume format would suit their needs most and which would help them to stand out from the mass of other candidates. BUT if you would ask them to name the one of formats they know – most probably they will say it’s chronological resume format. And as you already understood, today we would like to deep a bit more into chronological resume and would try to answer all the question. Maybe some of them you already know, and maybe some details will be useful for you resume.
So, before we will deep into details, let’s talk a bit about this type of resume. Chronological resume format – is the most used resume format in US and mostly all round the world. It’s also known as reverse-chronological resume format. And it’s not hard to understand why. Because it’s resume structure shows all your employment history into reverse chronological order. Beginning from the most recent employments and going backwards. At the final result – you show all your career path without any ability to hide some tricky things like: employment gaps, career changes, marital leave, etc.
Hiring managers likes Chronological resume 2018
Interesting fact or better say research – resume format hiring managers likes the most is a reverse chronological resume format. How it could be explained? First of all, because this type of resume format is the most used and secondly – because when a candidate use this type of resume format, he/she provide HR with some (hard to be noticed by a job seeker) clues. They use such clues to understand if a candidate is interesting for their company, or it’s better to concentrate their attention on some other employers.
Writing a chronological resume, you are trying to follow common recommendations. That means that you will try to show all your previous places of work in chronological order. That means – it’s easy to understand what was your career path, how you managed with some issues, if you got some raises, or you decided to change your company (because of some reasons), or something else..That’s why a hiring manager would like to read a chronological resume, compared to other formats. BUT other formats has it’s own poses and cons, which will be shown below.
When a chronological resume 2018 could be tricky for you
If you are not a senior specialist with some 20 years of outstanding career path behind your back, with some awards and brilliant cover letter..you have a bit less chances, compared with some guys/girls like that. And now we would like to save you from that bad moments, while a hiring manager is scanning your resume.
- High competition. Your main task here is to catch a hiring manager. And you need to do your best here. How you could do that? You have such resume sections like: achievements section, summary sections, cover letter. Use that to attract HR’s attention and interest them. After, if you will catch them, you have a great chance to get a call and to be invited for an interview.
- They are looking for soft skills. There are some positions, most likely is they are managers positions, when a hiring manager is looking for a candidate with a well-developed soft skills. And if you didn’t placed that skills in your resume, you will be the last in the “call to invite for the interview” queue.
TIP. It’s not a functional resume format, BUT you need to divide skills in your chronological resume into two groups: soft skills and hard skills. Doing that, more likely that they will be noticed by a HR.
Chronological resume 2018 format: Poses
Each resume format has it’s own pros and some candidates are trying to understand why they should use certain format to highlight their strengths. That’s why we decided to provide you with a list, where you could easily understand if this resume format is right for you and whether it could only stand your candidacy out from a crowd of other job seekers.
WHY it’s a good idea to use this type of resume format
- All the hiring manager knows this type of resume format. Nobody would ask you to re-send a resume, using other structure. It’s well-known and it does not cause too many questions;
- It would be hard for you here to highlight your main specialization. Clear structure would only help you to do it even better, compared to other resume formats;
- You don’t need to explain what you did and what jobs you used to have. Clear career path from the fresh grad till the current time. Everything in a full view;
- It fit’s the most traditional spheres, where are some special requirement for the resume structure;
- Tell even more about the candidate, if there are some really well-known and huge companies in your career portfolio.
Chronological resume 2018 format: Cons
Depends on your level and some other circumstances, it’s not always a good idea to use certain resume format. Even if your friends or ex-colleagues are using this type of resume format – it could not simply work for you. There are too many reason WHY, and now we would like to share them with you, to protect you from the most common mistakes job seekers did in the past.
WHEN it’s NOT a good idea to use this type of resume format
- You are always in job searching process. You don’t have a stable job, you don’t like offices and full-time jobs with a stable income – is not your option at all. You don’t have so-called career path, and all you have are some good HARD skills.
- Employment gaps. You used to have some problems or circumstances, which you don’t want to explain and reflect in your resume. BUT you will need to explain them. That’s the one of the most liked HR’s question during any interview process.
- Age. Using a reverse-chronological resume, you show everything. And it’s not a hard job to understand your age. So, if you are about to get retired, and looking for a job, it’s better to use other format.
You need to have a really outstanding career to use this format of resume. As it was already noticed, it has it’s own pros and cons, and only you could understand if it cover all you needs.
Who SHOULD USE chronological resume format 2018
To sum up all the written above, now we would like to provide you a short list with our instruction for you, so you could understand if you are the one, who should use this resume.
Are you the one of those guys below?
- Impressive career path with a proven results;
- Measurable achievements, which are not under NDA, and you could share them with a hiring manager or your future employee;
- You have huge and respective companies in your portfolio;
- No sudden and unexplained downgrades;
- You are not looking for temporary job, you need something stable.
We hope that our article help you to understand all the secrets of chronological resume format and we do believe that it would help you somehow to land the job this year!