When it comes to a resume writing, most of job seekers don’t know where to start and what to do. It’s a well-known fact that without a resume you have much less chances to get employed. So, it ain’t hard to understand that today we’re going to talk about how to write a resume in 2018 year. Most of you would not believe us, if we would tell you how easy resume writing process could be. Somehow, they are right. But at the same time we want to share with you some easy to do approaches. Maybe some of them you will find useful and could share them with your friends.
Before we start writing this article, we thought about why people feel stressed or simply even don’t want to start writing a resume? There are too many reasons and “why?” To understand that we talked with more than twenty regular job seekers, who are at the moment in active job search. None of them has resume already written. And we decided to ask them how it’s happened.
There are some main reasons why they don’t want to start writing their resume. The main reason is TIME they need to spend on it. The other reason is lack of information or outdated data. Third reason is – they simply don’t have already done 2018 resume template to use.
TIME.DATA. RESUME TEMPLATE
Too many times we talked about data. We wrote tons of posts about what to include to your 2018 resume, how each resume section should look like and many more. We have never thought about how much time an average job seeker needs to write a resume which works and bring a real results. Today we’re going to talk about time you need to spend on polishing, updating or simply refresh your resume.
UP to 5 minutes for polishing
- We hope you are using MS Word to edit your resume document or some other text editor. Each of them has ability to change fonts. We hope you have already read our post. If not, we suggest you to spend some time to read and after make some actions to make your resume more easy to read. Switch font to Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman or some other more easy to recognize and “readable” fonts.
- Check your resume for spelling mistakes. You even can’t imagine how stupid they could be. You think it’s not as important, but HR has a bit opposite point of view on that manner. Read more here about the most funniest resume mistakes and spell-check your resume now.
- Do not neglect a PDF format. It’s not the best decision when we’re talking about an ATS systems, but from the other hand it’s a good opportunity to let a hiring manager see your resume in initial resume format. But not sliced and partially removed by a mail server.
- Hyper-links should be live. Don’t let a hiring manager copy a link using a CTRL+C and after paste it into browser. Document you already sent will be read using a laptop and it’s obvious to make all links live.
- Simple, but effective way to name resume file. Use your [First Name] + [Last Name] + [resume].docx. Amazingly simple, but HRs loves, when resume file has an appropriate name.
- Still using “References available for request”? Oh, it’s not good! We don’t want you to spend a valuable place in your resume for useless things. If don’t believe us, read more about what other experts says here.
- Do not disregard a resume objective statement. There are too many posts, where you could read some information about how useless a resume objective could be. We have a completely an opposite vision on this matter – it should be included. Have troubles on how to write it, read more here.
- Any hints about 3 things in resume. They are: your real age or date of birth, religion and marital status. Hiring manager has no rights to ask an information above. In other case they violate rules and law.
- Place of living. It’s a good practice to remove any addresses from your resume. There are some clear to understand reasons on why you should do that. Hiring manager would try to count a time you need probably to get from your home to office. If HR would think it’s too long and you leave far from office – you can be rejected.
- Include a link to your LinkedIn profile. It’s not hard to create a new one, if you still don’t have one. It’s another great source to get different opportunities from wide range of companies. Still hesitant?Read a detailed instructions here on how to be a professional job searcher here.
- Already have your LinkedIn profile? BUT you don’t have a professional and well-looked resume on your laptop? We find out a cool instructions on how to convert profile to a resume.
- Some great experiments with your resume structure. If you are not using specific 2018 resume format template, you’d better to think about a resume structure. To be more specific – some sections of your resume. For example, you can attract more hiring managers attention if you would move education section below experience block.
15 Minutes to make your resume 2018 better
- We hope you have a skills resume section already included. Moreover, it’s already split into two batches: soft and hard skills. If skills list is not separated or structured – you’d better to do that. Languages should stay along, soft skills be separated and hard skills as well.
- Acronyms. During our researches we find out that more than 40% of job seekers never provide description of acronyms. It’s not good for some reasons. The main reason is ATS(Applicant Tracking Systems) – they scan your resume and if something could not be recognized, it’s not good for you and your resume scoring. Thus, always try to include description on what do you mean using an acronym. Simply, because HR could understand you better.
- Avoid BUZZWORDS. If you don’t know what else to include to your resume, resume buzzwords is not the best choice. They are simply useless and only take a valuable place in your one-page resume. No need to waste your time on them. Check out here which of them are already in your resume and remove.
- LIFEHACK. If you have an employment gap more than two months and not more than one year between your jobs – don’t include months. Better decision for you – omit start months and end months. Like 2008 – 2010. Without any months and exact days.
- LIFEHACK. Numbers should be written as numbers. For example if you increased revenue on twenty four percents – it’s not the best way to write about it. You increase revenue on 24%, because while HR scanning your CV – numbers are more valuable when they are numbers, but not letters.
- Resume style and formatting should be outstanding. You are crafting a resume, which could be used many times. All the spacings, bullets and headings should be in right places and well-looked. Have troubles with that? Read more on how to polish your 2018 CV.
- Your school experience is not interesting for a hiring manager, unless you are writing your first resume after graduation. Nobody cares about what extra classes you have attended and what skills you gained in college. Better to write more information about your hard and soft skills.
- Resume should not overwrite all your career path. For example if you have more than 30 years of experience, it doesn’t mean you should overwrite everything. You need to show last 10-15 years and not more. It’s a standard for a resume writing. Hiring managers would ask you about what you did before and why it’s not in your resume.
- Read resume once again after you have finished it. It’s a good practice to find out any mistakes and mismatches, if any. While you would read it, you would understand what else to include or maybe remove.
Resume DEEP CRAFTING – 30 Minutes more
- You are not the one, who are writing a resume. We do believe your friends did the same before. Don’t you want to ask them to share their resumes with you. It’s a good practice to find out something new for your resume and get inspired.
- Does you experience section is updated? Pay enough attention to this section of resume. If you see you lack some information there, don’t hesitate to add. Experience is the second resume block hiring managers pay attention to.
- Use vivid resume header. If you have some trouble on how to stress information in header or can’t understand what do we mean – get some our resume 2018 format samples.
- Remove free spaces. It would help your resume to look more consistent and professional. Also it’s good for a skim read factor. It makes your resume more easy to read and understand.
- Bullet points. How to use them and why do you need them. Read an article to understand and make some conclusions.
- Stress Scanning. Let’s imagine you have already coped with your resume. You have read it more than three times. You can’t feel now how well it was written and you need some other point of view. Independent point of view and sincere. Ask somebody to read your resume. Give that person 30 seconds for skim read and after ask what he/she understood or remembered.
- Keywords saturation. An outstanding technique, if you are optimizing resume for an ATS. How it works? Post your resume into keyword tag tools like tagcrowd. After processing, you will understand which keyword has more power(more used) compared to other words.
After all, we sincerely believe all our suggestion would be useful for you. Don’t waste time, pick your 2018 resume format and start polishing it. Get luck and get a JOB!